Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Be Still My Soul

I love music. Anyone who knows me well, is aware that I always have some tune in my head, and it is almost impossible for me to go a minute without humming, whistling, or singing. And if the tune stays in my head and becomes the song of my day, I often find myself drawn to the piano where my fingers find satisfaction as they play the melody on the keys.
  A few days ago, this song happened to be, Be Still My Soul, one of my favorite traditional hymns. Nancy Lee Demoss's 'Be Still Meditations' sheet music is my favorite arrangement of the song. It's powerful yet soothing at the same time and as the dynamics change throughout and crescendo up to the chorus, I can sense the peace and stillness of the Creator's constant presence.
  But what's even more soothing than the melody, are the lyrics:

Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.


I've sung these words many times, but for some reason, when I read these words the other day, I felt as if I had been reading them for the first time. The lyrics reminded me of how busy, how worrisome, how stormy life is at times. Yet, through it all God with never leave our side. In the second verse, the lyrics tell, 'To guide the future as He has the past.Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake--.' 

  How wonderful to simply be still amidst all unpleasant surprises or trials we face, not letting them shake our confidence in knowing that we have a heavenly Father who cares so deeply. Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend, Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end!

No comments:

Post a Comment