Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Joy of Editing: The First Draft


While I researched the subject of editing, it was interesting to see the variety of different methods each writer uses. Some go through the entire first draft without editing at all. They just write, write, write, without worrying about plot holes, grammar, or other mistakes. They save that for the next draft.
Other writers will write a chapter, then go back, proofread, edit, and continue to the next. In my opinion, I don't think there's necessarily a wrong way in going about it, as long as you have plotted and outlined beforehand so you will be working with some sort of structure, instead of just writing whatever comes to your head. 

Writing North Idaho: Witty Sayings about Writing:

Today I will be talking about producing the first draft in a way that will make the rewriting, editing, and revisions just a tad less painful than they could be. Just remember, that first draft, no matter what, is always going to be rough. The following tips are just ways that have helped me get the draft to where it needs to be before I renovate. :)

Before you begin your draft, make sure you...

  • Research/Plot. Since I became a copywriter, I've learned how crucially important it is to learn every single detail about the subject you are writing. If you are writing copy for a product, you need to know the history of the product, who will be buying it, what makes it better than its competition, and how it will make the prospect's life better. The same goes for writing fiction. If you don't know where your story is going, who your characters truly are, and how to describe the setting...then you don't have the proper structure you need to begin your draft. Whether you are writing a story or an article, get to know what and who you are writing about. Then plan out how you are going to put it together.
And that leads us to...
  • Create a thorough outline. Some writers outline every chapter of their book. I usually divide my story into three scenes. The opening, the middle, and the close. I write all the events I want to happen and put them into the scenes they belong. The order of the events often change, and many of them get cut out, while I add different events and happenings that are more appropriate and help gear the story into the direction it needs to go. So while your outline will most likely change quite a bit, it's still very important to have a good idea of where the story is headed. While writing an article, essay, newsletter, blog post, etc., it's also important to create an outline before you begin. That will make the actual writing process come along much smoother and easier.
Then you will be ready to...
  • Get to know your characters. Way back in January, I wrote a post about knowing your characters inside and out. You can read it here: Why you should know your characters inside and out.... Before writing your first draft you should know your characters' backstory, their strengths, weaknesses, what they will encounter during the story, and how they will handle conflict. While you are writing the first draft, keep in mind their personality and backstory, so you can help them grow in a way that is believable.
And last but not least...
  • Edit while you write. I know that it is very common advice to write the first draft and worry about the editing later. But I have found that if I do absolutely no editing or proofreading while I'm working on that first draft, I am going to have one ugly job while working on the revisions. A first draft itself is already sloppy enough even while doing a little editing here and there while you're working on it. What I usually do, is write a few chapters then go back and make some major changes if needed. This keeps the story fresh in my mind so I won't forget about subplots and secondary characters. I don't worry about grammar and dialogue so much, because I know I'll fix that later on. 
 Like I mentioned above, there are many different methods of getting that first draft written down. Some might find it easier to get through it without the worry of any editing until later. 

What kind of methods do you use while you prepare and write your first draft? Do you edit at all while working on it, or do you save that till the next draft? I am so looking forward to hearing any tips you have to producing a good first draft!

No comments:

Post a Comment