Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Everyone Needs Some Green Gables in Their Life...

This is for all you bookworms! 

This year, I have started a book club with a small group of friends and named it 'Everything Literature.' Our idea is to read a variety of fiction books this year...some classic, modern, and fantasy.

This month we are beginning Lucy Montgomery's beloved "Anne of Green Gables" books. It's been a long time since I read the first book, and I never read the rest of the series. I don't think I can even describe how excited I am to read these. Even though these books were written for young girls, I can honestly say, it doesn't matter how old you are to enjoy Anne Shirley's entertaining tale.  If you, like me, grew up watching the movies, you know how Anne can make a person laugh their head off.

As I'm rereading the first book, I find myself revisiting my childhood days, once again laughing and rolling my eyes at Anne's vivid imagination and habit of getting into mischief. I don't know why I never continued reading the series. Especially since we all know a certain someone (*ahem* Gilbert Blythe) plays a very special part.

But this is why I'm glad we're reading the whole series this year...It's nice to read some good classic, easy reading, literature, and share thoughts about the books with friends. If you too enjoy Anne and Gilbert, and whether you've read the books or haven't yet... And would like to share the Green Gables experience with a literature loving group, we'd love to have you join our club!
Just become friends with me on Goodreads and send a request to join my group, Everything Literature!

And while we're on the topic of Anne... I HAVE to share one of my newest discoveries. Okay it's not MY discovery. My friend Michaela told me about it first. You may have heard of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, a modern retelling of "Pride in Prejudice". It was filmed as a creative video blog on Youtube. Well, since the vlog became a big hit, fiction web series based on classic literature are becoming big on the internet. Several other books have been made into modern web series.

And one of these, which has become my ultimate FAVORITE, is 'The Green Gables Fables'. Why is it my favorite? Well for one...the production quality isn't quite professional as other fiction web series such as the LBD and others. And why is this a good thing you ask? Because it seems much more REAL.

Because the characters are all in high school including Anne, the videos seem like real video blogs created by a real teen. The writers and creators did a splendid job at making this lovely story come to life.

And can I just say...Anne does a great job at bringing Miss. Shirley to our generation. As a very talkative and imaginative foster child, she comes to live at Green Gables. There she makes new friends, gets into scrapes, and captures the heart of her new foster parents, Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert... this delightful classic is told in a modern way yet stays very close and accurate to the book.

The first season was just completed last week, which I'm very sad about. But it ended perfectly and we "fabler's" are keeping our fingers crossed for a second season!

So, if you enjoy video blogs, classic literature, and of course the wonderful tales of Anne Shirley...do check out the Green Gables Fables on YouTube!

Note: Gilbert...well...let's just say the modern day Gilbert Blythe with his dimples and charm is one of the many reasons this web series is well worth watching. <3

P.S. Another reason I love this series is it is very clean. It doesn't have any language, suggestive elements, or crude humor. That makes it refreshing and enjoyable. I hope you'll love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment