Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Tunes that Get the Creative Juices Flowing

I am basically listening to music ALL THE TIME.

And that includes my writing time. I usually make sure it's not blasting so it isn't distracting, but loud enough to get me in my writing mood and get the creative juices flowing.

The music I listen to while writing, usually depends either on what I'm writing or what time of day it is. I thought I'd make a list of some of my favorite writing music.

Mozart-- Call me old fashioned, but I believe in the theory that classical music is good for the brain. Mozart is usually the first Pandora station I turn on in the morning when I sit down at my desk. Its energetic rhythm puts me in a good and focused mood. I think it's great wake up and "ready to start the day" music.

Jim Brickman-- A lot of times, I'll listen to Jim Brickman and other piano music, such as 'The Piano Guys', 'Lorie Line', 'John Tesh', and 'Michael W. Smith', during the late morning, or early afternoon. At this point, I've been writing for several hours, and could use some pretty and soothing music to help relieve any stress and recuperate from the hard work I just put in. This is also a good time of the day to listen to it, since I'm already wide awake, and it's not late enough in the day to make me sleepy.



Taliesin Orchestra-- Whenever I'm writing fantasy, Taliesin Orchestra's Pandora station is the best to listen to! I highly recommend it to anyone who is writing about fantasy or fairy tales. It's beautiful and mysterious songs usually find its way into the soundtrack of my story as I write. One of my favorite artist's that often comes on this station, is Blackmoore's Night. It's Medieval style is always inspiring new scenes and ideas for my writing.

Carla Bruni-- I don't listen to vocal music while writing very much. It makes it difficult to concentrate and most the time I end up singing along instead of typing. (Disney music and writing DO NOT work well together.) But I love Carla Bruni's soft and beautiful voice. I like listening to her in the early evenings just before dinner. Plus...she sings in French so I can't really sing along anyway. ;)

While writing fiction, the music I listen to almost always depends on the scene I'm writing and the feelings, whereabouts, and mood of my characters at the time. So, if my book takes place during Christmas time, then I will be jammin' out to the Holiday tunes no matter what time of year it is!

I also create playlists for stories I'm working on and will listen to those sometimes while writing them.

As you can see, the music I listen to while writing is all pretty mellow. It definitely helps me focus and keeps me relaxed as my fingers and brain go to work.

I'd love to find out what tunes you listen to while writing or studying as well. Please share in the comments!

~Allissa

No comments:

Post a Comment