Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Power of Words

Words are not just words. This might sound kind of nerdy, but do you ever wonder how many words you've spoken in one day...or one week? And what about the unspoken words that have gone through your head?

I've never really thought of that. Until I started keeping a weekly word count of my writing projects. I remember back in the summer when I was working on a story and the creative juices were oozing out. At the end of the week, I realized I typed over seventeen thousand words just on that project.

And I thought, "Whoa, that's a lot." Then it made me think of all the words that I speak, think, and read everyday. And though it must be quite a lot, I was reminded of the power only one word, one sentence, one comment can have.

A sentence like, "I love you," can cause so many different emotions and feelings. The single word, "Goodbye" can break a heart. It can also fill a person with the anticipation to be reunited again.

The words grace, mercy, and hope fill us with the beautiful reminder of our Savior who gave up everything for us. The words, Redeemer, Prince of Peace, and Son of God are titles that represent who He truly is and always will be.

And this is why I LOVE writing. I love words. (I know I'm sounding nerdy again! You probably imagine me sitting with my nose in a dictionary all day!) As writers we have the power to use words to reach out...to make an impact. We have the power to use words to touch hearts in a very powerful way.

A tale whether it's true or fiction reveals the characters' feelings through words and the meanings and expressions of those words. They can draw a person into that tale; so that the reader will experience what that character goes through. The readers will feel pain when the character is hurting, joy when the character is smiling, anxiousness when the character is in great danger.

So just think...if one word can make a powerful impact on someone's life...what can those thousands of other words do for them?

As a writer, you have the ability to magically reach out and touch people in ways they've never been touched. All through the words you write.

This isn't a post telling you how to write, what words to use and what words not to use. I'm merely describing the gift of writing from a view you may have never quite thought of or really reflected on before. And maybe you have, but sometimes it's nice to be reminded of the encouraging impact you are making as a writer!

Whether one or thousands of people have been touched by your story...your touching someone. And that's why God gave you the gift and desire to write.

So next time you write over a thousand words, think of all the emotions you've just put your reader through. Think of what you've just created...and smile. With those thousand words, you've just made a character come alive. You've just poured out your heart. All through the power of words.

No comments:

Post a Comment