Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A Writer's Journey: Pushing Through When You Feel Stuck

Unfortunately, we all get to that point where writing does NOT feel fun! You've changed the plot twenty times. Your characters aren't turning out how you wanted them to. You have the setting down perfectly in your brain, but you're having a difficult time putting it into words.

How to stop the fear of being judged and just write!: It seems you've been working on the same project for decades and you have a million more story ideas that you MUST write! Or maybe you're so discouraged that writing anything ever again doesn't sound appealing at all!

Yes, I do believe every writer gets to that stage where they feel stuck and wonder, "What in the world have I gotten myself into?" I am going to admit that several times over this summer while I was working on the first draft of the extremely drastic rewrite of my novel, I had some rather pathetic meltdowns and would actually break down in tears.

My poor mom...I don't know how many times I came crying to her saying, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! MY BOOK IS A MESS!" I had been making change after change, having such a hard time making decisions that could drastically change the story even more. I don't remember how many times I rewrote the beginning because of this.

x: At times I just felt stuck and uncertain in my ability to mold this story into the beautiful piece of art I wanted it to be. The stress and negative thoughts often caused me to question whether this was a waste of time, and if I'd be better off writing in a different genre.

Then one day, towards the end of the summer, I was praying for guidance with my writing and for faith to trust that God will use me through whatever I write. And I came to a sort of revelation. I realized, I cannot afford to be negative at all when I write! All I can do is my absolute best, then leave the rest to God to use the gift He allowed me to have.

I began to focus on having a much more positive mindset every time I sat down to write. I blocked out every thought that would cause me to be anxious or discouraged. Any time I found myself feeling like a chapter or plot threat was extremely weak, instead of feeling stuck and uncertain, I told myself, "All I need to do is fix it and it'll come together. I have to do my best and let God work through me."

Junot Diaz, Professor of Writing Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, 2008: Dear writers...writing is HARD, isn't it? It's painful sometimes. When Olympian athletes get injured for a season, it's painful and discouraging. When they place fourth, barely missing that bronze metal, they are heart broken.

But the truest athletes who have a deep passion for their sport, do not give up. They keep at it, because they feel that is what they are meant to do, and though these detours and disappointments can be discouraging, they will always have a love for that sport.

Romans 8:37 ... by emilyburgerdesigns.com: Sometimes when our writing project isn't going in the direction we planned, instead of giving up on it, or starting something different, I think the best thing to do, as unpleasant as it seems, is push through. Though you can't see the future, and what will become of your book or how long it will take you to complete it, keep writing anyway! DON'T allow yourself to think negative. Remind yourself it might just take a little longer and be a little more difficult than you planned.

Thankfully God has promised us His grace to become conquers through Him. No matter how hard the task, He will help you through the most challenging stages of a writer's journey. And in the end you will be stronger and a better writer!

In fact, this post doesn't have to apply only to writers. Everyone goes through difficult and challenging stages in life. When we trust God to give us His strength and do our best to follow His will, and be obedient to Him, because He loves us and knows what's best, we will become more than conquers.

No comments:

Post a Comment