Monday, September 21, 2015

Five Magic Spindles Show and Tell


Last week, Anne Elisabeth Stengl posted many synopsis and opening lines of the stories in progress from the authors competing in Rooglewood Press's 'Five Magic Spindles' contest.


I know I'm late in posting this, but if you haven't read the post yet, DO SO! I am so inspired and intrigued to see all the different sleeping beauty retelling ideas. You can read them here.

I've decided to share my synopsis on my own blog as well, but I do hope you'll read everyone else's, for there are so many creative stories being developed!

My Synopsis of my Sleeping Beauty retelling:

The Hunter’s Heir:
Princess Meriel:
After embarrassing herself in front the Elven Kingdom during her sixteenth birthday celebration, Princess Meriel is afraid her clumsiness and lack of grace and elegance has given her royal family a bad name.
            When she runs to Coral Brook Forest to be alone, she discovers her father’s own advisor attempting to bring back a darkness that was destroyed hundreds of years ago.
            And after she is struck by the darkness and wakes up one hundred years later, she finds that the Elven Kingdom is ruled by a selfish and cruel king, elves and humans are no longer friends, and villages are being attacked at night by the same darkness that had caused Meriel to sleep for a century long.
            With the help of a cocky archer and two eccentric fairies, Princess Meriel journeys to find the elf and heir of the great Hunter, Lianothorn who had once destroyed the darkness years ago.

As Meriel encounters dangers she had never expected herself to face, she discovers that that courage and loyalty are far more important qualities to have than simply being beautiful and charming.

This project has been so much fun to work on. After working on a fiction story for such a long time, it's a little nice to explore a completely different genre. Elves have always intrigued me, so it's been really fun studying about them and creating them in my own way as well.

Having only just finished my first (and very rough) draft of this story, there is still much work to be done. I still have not a name for the Elven Kingdom, and I unfortunately am several hundred words over the limit word count.

But thankfully we have until December to turn in our manuscripts, so it should be (hopefully!) ready by then. :)

3 comments:

  1. Your story sounds epic! And I love elves, so that's a plus. ;)
    I can definitely understand being over the word limit...although this year, my story is close to 10,000 words over. Yipes!
    I hope your editing goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I really like your story idea! It's very intriguing and I love the idea that there's a prince dreaming too. It's too bad we can't have 50,000 words as a limit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks!
      50k would be niiiiice. o.o But the collection would probably squash me, being so thick. XD

      Delete