Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Writer's Journey: Special Guest

Welcome readers! I am posting a second 'Writer's Journey' post for the week and this one is special because we have a guest with us! I had the privilege of interviewing my good friend, Michaela Fuller who is currently working on her first novel, 'Wishful Thinking'.

I hope you will feel inspired when you hear about her writer's journey:

So how long exactly have you been writing?

Well…I have been thinking of stories since I was six. Then I started writing little stories when I was ten. I didn’t ever finish anything until last year.

At what stage in the writer’s journey do you think you are at right now?

I'm still in the beginning stage...probably step 3 or 4. I’m no where close to being a professional or bestseller or anything. I just like to make up stories and write them down. I haven’t actually published or redrafted anything yet as they are all just ideas really.

I know you have been working on plotting and outlining for your first novel, Wishful Thinking. May we hear a little bit about it?

I don't want to give too much away but I will say it is a fiction/fantasy for young adults. There will be both comedy and romance in there and the main character is actually based after me. I kind of took how I would react to what she goes through.

That's so exciting! I can't wait to read it. Where do you find the inspiration for your writing?

 I get a lot of inspiration just from reading other stories and listening to lyrics of songs and watching movies. I find lots of ideas on Pinterest. And just my own daydreams. I get ideas in my head and they just kind of take off.

The biggest difficulty a writer faces is writer's block. What do you do when you have writer's block or feel discouraged?

Usually what I do if I have writer’s block in a particular story, I move on to something else even if it’s just for a short time. Or I’ll go back to where I got my original inspiration for the story. I’ll go back and re-listen to the song, re-watch the movie, or reread the scene so it reminds me of where I want it to go.

Are there any writers or authors who have made an impact on your writing?

I want to have the creativity of Alexandra Bracken (Brightly Woven) and Sarah J. Maas (Glass of Thrones). I also want to have the wit of Jane Austen. I love Marrissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles), because her characters are so intricate and complicated. 

Do you usually set goals on when you want to finish a project? 

Yes, I do make goals but they do change depending on what’s going on in my life. My current goal is to finish the first draft of Wishful Thinking by the end of the year, but we'll see what happens. Giving myself  deadlines does put more stress on me, so I think more in terms of writing as much as I can when I can. 

What is your favorite and least favorite thing about writing?

My favorite part is thinking about all the ideas. I love taking inspiration and creating a story for it and coming up with a plot and characters. I like to create my own soundtrack and playlist for the story and characters. My least favorite thing is when I let my discouragement take over. I tend to take a break instead of push forward. I need to realize it won’t be perfect the first time.

If you could give advice to writers who are just beginning their first novel or big project, what would you tell them?

I would tell them, don’t let fear of not being good enough keep you from writing. Too often, I compare myself with someone who is way ahead of me in my journey or projects. So I think because I’m not where they are and not as good as they are, I stop. Everyone’s been where we’ve been. Everyone has a beginning. So don’t give up!

About Michaela Fuller: 

 Michaela has been dreaming of magical places, brave princesses and dashing heroes since she was a little girl. Because she has yet to stumble through a wardrobe to Narnia, journey throughout Middle Earth with eight companions, or receive her letter to Hogwarts, she recently decided to create her own epic adventure by beginning her first novel. She drinks entirely too much coffee and lives in Iowa with her cat Bilbeau. 

No comments:

Post a Comment